Wednesday, May 23, 2012

CARE TO JOIN ME IN MY COCOON?


     I just want to dig a tunnel and make a hole so deep that I can hide and cocoon myself in it for the following few years.  I feel angry.  I feel frustrated.  I feel confused. 

     However did we get here?

     Frankly, I am wondering if anyone feels like me.  I am torn apart and scattered into pieces.  I told myself before I should not blog about politics because many of my friends are doing so.  It is enough that they can sound out their opinions which most times, I share.  But now I can’t help but speak out against what is happening around me.

     I don’t profess to be holier-than-thou.  I am just as crooked as the man in the next house!  If there are ways to do it easier, faster, cheaper, I will take that way – inconsiderate of whether the end justifies the means.  But, I take issue to the quality of government leaders that I allow to govern me and my family.

     As leaders, I expect them to be worthy of my emulation and respect.  Persons of tested probity and decency – these are the kinds of people I require.  After all, I do need someone to set me an example and set me a-right; someone who will show me that no matter the situation, RIGHT IS ALWAYS MIGHT and TRUTH ALWAYS PREVAILS! 

     Yet, what do I get?

     I get a president who promised in his election campaign that he will rule using “daang matuwid” - a straight or a righteous path.  In the two years he has been in office, he merely busied himself with hounding his perceived enemies with his own convoluted interpretation of the laws; while I read a columnist’s tweet that the country’s economic growth is down to 2% from the previous president’s 8%!

     Not only does this man take it upon himself to humiliate me in front of the international community by fumbling a simple hostage-taking of Chinese tourists, he managed to grin all over the cameras throughout the entire ordeal – my ordeal! 
 
     To further aggravate my shame and annoyance, he sicced upon me a host of bumbling, ill-equipped minions to do his dirty jobs.  So now, I have to endure a daily dose of appearances from the president’s spokesperson, a lawyer playing court jester who imports his legal opinions from Uranus!

     I also get to hide my face in embarrassment over the presidential speechmaker tweeting, for all the public to read, comments insulting to the host country that welcomed them with graciousness.   I have a Vietnamese niece-in-law, you see.    

     My dear effing president provides me a justice secretary whose primary concern in her job is to ride on all sensational issues that may help catapult her to the Senate.  She, of course, often forgets her law books at home thus whatever she pronounces to be legal may just turn out to be illegal.  Ask the dean in her alma mater.  He sounded as though he wanted to erase her from their roster of graduates at one point.  It could prove amusing if you go for dark humor. 

     Then, for entertainment, my president summons up what they call the Impeachment Court; an effort, he claims, towards transparency and accountability in government service. 

     Daily, this man single-handedly strings me along with a disorganized but scripted show of incompetence, stupidity, and dishonesty blatantly and arrogantly displayed in the Senate hall and on national television.  His leading actors are members of the talent agency called the House of Representatives.  Many of them, I think, believe they are auditioning to replace Wally and Jose in Eat Bulaga!   To bump up their act, they decide to conjure up The Little Lady and The Anonymous Messenger!  Their third rate performance often insulted the intelligence of Lady Miriam, my favorite senator, that she normally ends up the day’s trial seething with anger.  It’s a wonder she never had to be carried out in a stretcher!  As for me, I feel so weak with despair and frustration after watching these imbeciles that dinner is most times spoiled. 

     One of these days, they will tell me it was intentional because they are helping me minimize my food expenses.  It could be that one of them overheard me griping over the fact that I could no longer make the ends of my food budget meet.  It has now become a choice of downgrading the types of food my family eats or diminishing the portions I serve them.

     What really pushed me into this hole is when this jaundiced man utilized the services of his ultimate star.  The lady originates from another talent agency, supposedly the primus inter pares when it comes to clean living and unquestionable integrity.  I do not know what the script called for but after her appearance in this bizaare play, she seemed as soiled as the little criminals in the government she proposes to persecute..errrrr… I mean, prosecute.  Although she came on stage with all the necessary props, she did not seem to understand what her presentation was about.  Neither did she own up to what she presented.   Someone on the side commented that you can pick up these props in the garbage can!   Well, she must first set aside her law books and take up Accounting before she would be able to make heads and tails of her own pie chart!  She will learn that you don't get the balance by adding all the amounts.  You get it by deducting the outflow from the inflow.  Actually, her grandchildren can even teach her that because it is simple math!  Then, she can go underground in ignominy!

     With all that have transpired, I decide that this is it!  I have taken enough affront to my sensibilities.  But saying enough is enough just is not enough. 

     Yesterday, I watched the appearance of  the anti-hero and he came across as the best performer in this farce.  He showed sincerity, and, hey, I can identify with his story.  I, too, sent nephews and nieces through school.  Like a common man, cornered and framed for a crime that is not even called a crime under the law, the anti-hero looked to me like the most honorable person to have shown up in this play.  His role may not have been written into this act directed and produced by my ignorant president, but the anti-hero took center stage and poured his heart out for all the grief that the cast and crew caused him the past five months.

     Today, my anti-hero has been put out of action by his own frustrations, disenchantment and emotional pain.  And, I can only pray and look on in desolation. 

     Because, you see, the script calls for his downfall.  The die has long been cast as the director had planned.  The actors had been paid and the show has reached its climax.  They are wrapping up this extravaganza by May 30 with the anti-hero being declared as the ultimate villain.  Then this troupe will move on to create another show, another anti-hero – for their blood-thirsty fans and patrons.  Maybe soon, this country will go back to the days of gladiators and organize daily fight-to-the-death bouts for diversion!

     I am thinking – hey, this is not my president!  No way have I given permission for this buffoon to take over my life and make it miserable.  He does not serve my welfare so how can I claim him as my leader.  No way, no matter my senior moments, will I select someone whose shining 20 plus years of government service is characterized by outstanding and stupendous non-achievement; a record he may proudly declare still unparalleled!   

     Since I am now president-less, I intend to stay in my cocoon for the next three years or so.  I shall keep myself entertained with reruns of my favorite investigative show “Castle” – where law-enforcement is funny and naughty but upright and straightforward, where the lead characters are morally fair and where the truth is never thwarted, not even by badass lawyers! 

     I hope when I emerge, my nightmare would have ended and I will see the same kind of leaders that I see on my favorite show – honest, intelligent, candid, conscientious, honorable, hardworking and visionary! 

     And now, a senior member of the Republic of the Philippines wishes to be excused to go back to digging.  You’re welcome to stay and join me.  Just promise me you will not ask me to hold hands and sing “if we hold on together………” I just might puke!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment