Thursday, September 20, 2012

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LY!


     I often called it “maltiempo” or bad time/timing, as far as I can interpret.  Unfortunately, my cousin, Lyja, is stricken with this.  I attribute it primarily to her being a “menopause baby” with her mother and father already advanced in years when she came into being.  When she was born, her youngest sibling, at that point, was already in his mid-teens. 

     It was no wonder, therefore, that she was always out of the loop with what were happening in their household.  She even ate her meals separate from her siblings because while everybody else was rushing to finish, she was meticulously picking on her food for hours.  She was constantly followed around by her “yaya” Pilang, an old maid who was prone to expressing herself in Visayan terms such as “pisting yawa”, “ ano ba ining bata na ini” and others that I can’t now quite recall.   Yaya Pilang was her companion at all times and she always needed to chase after my cousin come meal times. 

     Because I was an only girl with three brothers, Lyja was naturally drawn to my company.  She would come to our house for dinner bringing her own food in a bowl.  That was because my three brothers would take turns taunting her and pushing her out of the door.  No amount of teasing made her leave because she felt she had a right to be with us.  The attraction may be that we were a younger household.  And, I guess, her right in the family had been installed by Mama, herself, who often declared that she nursed Lyja with her own breast milk when the latter was an infant.  You see, my aunt became ill after giving birth to her and was unable to take care of Lyja.  My uncle felt compelled to give the baby to another family but my strong-willed mother put her foot down and argued that she can nurse my cousin instead.  Of course, it was quite fortunate that Mama was herself in her late pregnancy with my brother, Dick.   As Mama related, there came a time when she was nursing two babies at the same time. 

     Being of the same age, Dick and Lyja started school together.  Probably because my aunt had been weak through her pregnancy, Lyja was sickly too.  That was the reason she had to stop for one year and I caught up with her in school.  I think, having another little girl to play with was just too pleasant for her.  Being the more senior child, she always had her way with me.  Not to mention, of course, the fact that Mama always told me to accede to whatever Lyja wanted since she was often ill.  Mama regretted this instruction when I came home one day with my beautiful long tresses (that Mama took great care to curl and style) cut with a “patilya” or sideburns at the side!  Horrible!  You see, my cousin had and still has one great passion and that is cutting hair!  She thinks she can be one great hair stylist!  

Cousins


     At any rate, Lyja always had them all fooled.  She looked frail and weak but deep inside was one naughty, fighting, little girl.   My brother, Dick, must be able to attest to that because she pinched him every time she didn’t get her way.  She also picked fights in school and brought him to her enemies so he could box them.  Of course, by the time we were on the same grade, I was the one doing all her boxing for her!  Hahahahahahah…..  those were fun times because the fights somehow satisfied the war craving in me! 

     Looking saintly with a little devil peeking out, Lyja got into plenty of exploits with me as accomplice.   One really funny episode in our student life was when we were penalized by being made to commute from school on our own for an entire month.  We were then studying in a Chinese school in the Chinatown district.  The reason for the penalty was that we got too busy watching a volleyball game that we totally forgot about the family driver waiting for us just outside the school grounds.  We got home quite late and both got an earful of tongue-lashing!  True to our mischievous nature, the penalty became one big adventure.  We were quite ignorant on how to commute home so we opted to walk the long, long way home.  Along the various routes we unraveled, we discovered the intricate ins and outs of Sta. Cruz and Quiapo.   The best find we prided in was Little Quiapo, a nondescript restaurant along Rizal Avenue that served a wonderful concoction of halo-halo.   Unknown to our elders, this was where our transportation money was going to.  It was heaven especially for Lyja because she was always forbidden to drink anything cold at home.  Talk of over protection.  I’d say this was one of the best growing up experience both of us ever had.  Not only did we get to see the chaos of city life, it was also the time we discovered we could resell our used books!  There, we found our extra income! 

     Our teen years were unfortunately quite disparate.  Mama was liberal about allowing me to camps, soirees and seminars.   Lyja, on the other hand, had to stay close to home as demanded by her older brothers.  They were very strict with her and life must have been very boring.  She took the strictures with calm acceptance and it was only now and then that a rebellious tendency would show.  It helped that Mama was open-minded about conspiring with us.  All Lyja had to do was ask permission to spend the night with us and off we went to whatever party with our friends and “barkada”.   It was their routine, too, that one of her brothers would call late at night to check on her.  They were no match to Mama, who felt no remorse in lying to them by saying that we were asleep as we got tired chatting!  Dear Mama! 

     I could talk on and on about our escapades but time does not allow it.  Suffice it to say that up to our senior years, Lyja and I are still happily together.  She claims that she never married because she was so intimidated by having to raise a family as she watched me cope with it through the past years.  This, of course, is belied by the fact that she helped me raise my children especially the two youngest ones.  I am grateful that her practicality in life and its options has rubbed off on them.  More grateful am I for how her cool disposition always tempered my fiery take on our day to day experiences. 

     Lyja is much older now.  The devil in her is still hiding and peeking out now and then.  She tells me, “ Don’t be angry.  Make others angry!”  She falls asleep in front of the television and can snore through any program.  Put off the television and she would wake up.  She claims the noise from the boob tube lulls her to sleep.  I snicker over this because I know for a fact that so many other things lull her to sleep.  She falls asleep while reading the newspaper.  Surprisingly, you would find her with her hands still holding the newspaper up.  She also falls asleep while worshipping on her feet with her hands raised up high.  The only time you will realize that she is asleep is when she soft pedals backward!  Mean old me, I snicker over these occasions too!  My bad, really!

     Aging she may be but she never fails to offer her services when she feels it is needed.  If one member of the family falls sick, she is immediately by their side; offering to watch over and care for them.  In our household, she comes up with all kinds of foul-smelling concoctions that surprisingly work wonders on whatever ailments we may have.  She comes up with all kinds of remedies for illnesses and because she occasionally engages in network marketing of food supplement, some relatives misinterpret it as financial motive.   Like me, they can be quite bad!

     What I truly appreciate about my cousin is her capacity to love without conditions.  I love that she cannot seem to find fault with my blatant eccentricities; that she laughs over the cranky comments I make when I get pissed.  She wonderfully thinks I am superwoman and drives me to be such because she thinks so!  I preciously value her presence in my life because she is one person who can see through all of my disguises and still love me.

     Today is her day so I thought to share a little glimpse to the remarkable personality of this wispy and dear cousin of mine.

     Happy birthday, Laly.  Thank you for sharing your life and love with us.  We truly love you!  

No comments:

Post a Comment