Monday, April 30, 2012

Are We Over-exposed?


     Half my day is spent on the road.  The Hubby and I drive through never ending traffic running errands here and there.  As always, when stuck in gridlock, we often find our conversations meandering towards the essential and the inane. 

     My scheming, inventive mind often wanders about the other passengers in cars surrounding us.  What frequently call my attention are the stickers that owners post on their vehicles. 

     For example, has anybody noticed that it has almost become de rigueur to have stickers of human caricatures of owner and family with name tags on them? 

     So, we are behind this car that had Daddy Gus, Mommy Minnie, Eldest son Migz, Second son Mac, Daughter Nina and Baby Bambam (sex unknown) – all holding hands – and Baby Bambam hanging on for dear life to doggie Wix!  To complement the caricatures, there are also stickers of Ateneo de Manila and Miriam College. 

     Now I see myself, a member of Dugo-dugo gang, ringing the family’s doorbell at a time when no one is around except the household helper.   The maid comes to the gate while tailed by a barking dog. 

     I say, “Ako si ako, parent ako ng classmate ni Mac sa Ateneo.  Pinapunta ako nila Gus at Minnie para kumuha ng pera sa kuwarto nila.  Naaksidente kasi si Mac sa school.  Dinala nila sa ospital kaya ako na ang pinapunta dito.” 
      (Translation for my non-Tagalog speaking friends – I am a parent of Mac’s classmate in Ateneo.  I was requested by Gus and Minnie to come get money from their room because Mac met an accident in school and they had to bring him to the hospital.)

     Wary, the maid answers. “Eh sir, kabilinbilinan po nila na huwag po ako magpapapasok ng hindi kilala.”
     (Sir, they had instructed that I should never to let strangers into the house.)

     “Okay lang yun.  Kaibigan ko sila at saka nagmamadali din ako kasi ako rin ang susundo kay Nina sa Miriam.  Baka kasi matagalan sila eh maghintay yung bata. “
    (It’s okay, you can let me in. I am their friend.  Besides, I am in a hurry because I still need to pick up Nina in Miriam.  Her parents might take long in the hospital and we don’t want her to wait.”

     The dog keeps barking so I say, “ Quiet, Wix!”

    By this time, the maid would be wondering if she can allow me in.  Why, I do know practically every member of the family!  Wonder of wonders, I even know the dog! 

     To knock out her qualms, I ask, “ Tulog ba si Bambam?”  (Is Bambam sleeping?)
    
     “Opo, kasama nga po ni Yaya.”  (Yes, the Yaya is with him/her.)

     Reluctantly, the maid opens the gate and allows me in.  She even points out where the masters’ bedroom is. 

     How easy it is to attack and conquer – all because of stickers in the car!  

     I wish I were a member of the Dugo-dugo gang so I could put my theories and imagination to a test!  Watch out, overexposed families, here I come!  Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!!!

1 comment: